One of the easiest but possibly the most delightful activities in Mr Shaha’s Marvellous Machines is the Balancing Bird. Erich Landstrom (@ScienceGiant on Twitter) took inspiration from it and designed a balancing reindeer for Christmas. He has kindly shared the template with me so that anyone can make their own. Click below for the template and follow Erich’s instructions to make a “delightful toy reindeer that which will appear to balance magically:
- Using a glue stick, stick Rudolph into a piece of cardboard from a cereal box or similar.
- Cut out Rudolph out of the cardboard.
- Using small loops of sticky tape, stick a penny (one cent coin) on Rudolph’s nose. It should be bright shiny penny, so if you ever saw it you would even say it glows.
- Bend Rudolph’s antlers slightly downward
- Balance Rudolph by putting your fingertips underneath his forehead at the midpoint.
- Try balancing Rudolph on other things, like the top of a Christmas tree.
Lots more stuff to make on my marvellous machines page. If you want another Christmas themed balancing toy, I’ve got a Balancing Santa for you here
Leave a Reply